Basil the Confessor
Not to be confused with Basil the Confessor, companion of the Venerable Procopius at Decapolis, Commemorated on February 28, St Basil the Confessor, Bishop of Parium, fought valiantly against the Iconoclast heresy during the eighth century.
When the Iconoclast heresy broke out, Saint Basil resolutely came out on the side of icon veneration and refused to sign the orders for their abolition (the “Iniquitous Scroll”) of the Council of 754 which was convened under the emperor Constantine V Copronymos (741-775). The saint avoided any contact with the heretics and did not permit them into his diocese. For his zeal he suffered much persecution, hunger and deprivation.
St Basil is commemorated on April 12.
Troparion (Tone 4)
- O glorious hierarch Basil,
- Priest of the King of Glory,
- You are a radiant confessor of the faith.
- You opposed the iconoclasts and suffered for the truth.
- Now standing in glory before God, remember those who honor you!
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- Illumined with the light from on high, O blessed Father,
- You enlighten all who honor your suffering, O Holy hierarch Basil.
- Pray ever to Christ our God for all of us.