Metropolis of Singapore
The Holy Metropolis of Singapore, headquartered in Singapore, is an eparchy of the Church of Constantinople. The Metropolis was established in January 2008 to encompass Singapore, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Maldives Islands, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka.
OnJanuary 9, 2008, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople decided to divide the western part of the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia from the eastern part, thus forming the Holy Metropolis of Singapore which extends further west to encompass South Asia. At that time, the Synod did not select a bishop for the new metropolis.
Fr. Konstantinos became chancellor under the first Metropolitan of Hong Kong, Met. Nikitas (Lulias), and continued under his brother, the present Metropolitan Nektarios (Tsilis). When Met. Nektarios was elected in 2008, the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate divided the Metropolitanate, creating the new Metropolitanate of Singapore.
- Archimandrite Daniel Toyne is the sole priest in Singapore.
- There are a sizeable number of priests in India.
- Rev. Fr. Chrysostomos Manalu is the archepiscopal vicar for Indonesia.
- Rev. Fr John Tanveer is the sole priest in Pakistan.
Rev. Chrysostomos Manalu is a graduate of the Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece (1995). Fr. Chrysostomos has taken many underprivileged children under his care as more and more of the Indonesian people sink into poverty. He provides them with room and board, food and schooling. A women medical center, Theological school (St. Paul Theological School) with a boarding house, a Computer School, are also in the works in order to better serve the needs of the area.
Parishes and Institutions
Orthodox parish in Medan: St. Demetrios Orthodox church, Jl. Kapiten Purba, Simalingkar, Medan, Indonesia. Tel: 62-61-8368747
Orthodox Monastery "Theotokos": Aghia Sophia Educational Center, Tanjung Anom, Kabupaten Deli Serdang, North Sumatera, Indonesia.
General Hospital "Theotokos": Jl. Raya Besar Namorambe, Kabupaten Deli Serdang, North Sumatera, Indonesia.
Orthodox Church "Agios Ephraim": Lae Rias Village, Sumbul Pegagan, Dairi regency, North Sumatera, Indonesia
Orthodox Church "Aghia Evdokia" Hau Sisada-sada village, Tarutung, North Tapanuli Regency, North Sumatera, Indonesia
- Metropolitan Nikitas (Lulias), formerly Metropolitan of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia (when it also encompassed the area now in this Metropolis), now director of the Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute in Berkeley, California, USA.
- Metropolitan Nektarios (Tsilis), Metropolitan of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia (when it also encompassed the area now in this Metropolis).
- Translation of the announcement establishing the Holy Metropolis of Singapore
- Official Website of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Constantinople
Metropolis of Singapore
- Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church in Singapore.