Diocese of Toliara
The first ecclesiastical structure established in Southern Africa was the Archdiocese of Johannesburg in 1927. In 1968, the territories outside South Africa were incorporated in the newly-established Archdiocese of Rhodesia. In 1997, during the era of Patriarch Petros VII, the Diocese of Madagascar – which was elevated to an Archdiocese in 2012 — was established, although mostly present in Northern Madagascar. A missionary center rapidly grew over the Toliara area in Southern Madagascar.
In 2015, His Beatitude the Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria was received in Toliara by the Governor of Atsimo-Andrefana, where he consecrated a church dedicated to Saint Irene and a medical clinic for the native population. There are over nine churches in Toliara, which provide water, clothing and financial support to the tribes nearby. The diocese also runs a school for six hundred children.
On November 26, 2018 the see of Toliara was established under the Archdiocese of Antananarivo by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree of Patriarch Theodoros II. In the following year, Archmandrite Prodromos Katsoulis, a pious Greek missionary and hegumen to Central Africa, was elected Bishop of Toliara.
- Prodromos (Katsoulis) 2019–Present