Talk:Timeline of Orthodoxy in Greece
On all Timeline articles:
Help on Timeline Editing
Hi, I would love any editing help anyone has to offer with this timeline! Im not very used to writing and writing styles so you see ...any help/modifications will be welcome! Vasiliki 20:47, April 7, 2008 (UTC)
Also, the aim of this particular timeline, in my mind, is to capture the key dates which relate to the founding of each "Metropolis", and its Sub-Diocese, the date of consecration for the Metropolitans, Archbishops, Bishops and any dates specific to saints from the Greek Saints category - this is going to be a huge task for me so if anyone volunteers information that will be great. Vasiliki 20:50, April 7, 2008 (UTC)
What is the source for the A.D. 200 date for the death of St. Quadratus? If he's one of the Seventy, how could he still have been alive in 200? Assuming he was perhaps 20 years old when Christ chose him, he would have to be over 180 years old in 200. Eusebius lists him as a disciple of the Twelve, which places his birthdate sometime in the early to mid-first century. —Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!) 14:39, April 11, 2008 (UTC)
- Hi, my source was List of Archbishops of Athens which has been primarily edited by yourself and a Iliang. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Ixthis888 (talk • contribs) .
- I believe that it is the dates in the List of Archbishops of Athens article that are questionable. The Apostle Quadratus of the Seventy (OCA) and The Holy Apostle Quadratus (Prologue from Ohrid) cited in Apostle Quadratus say he was bishop after St. Publius. (I don't think St. Publius's dates in the list article are right either.) - Andrew 20:18, April 14, 2008 (UTC)
I'm not a scholar of the political history of modern Greece, but I wonder whether the "era dating" borrowed from the Timeline of Church History is appropriate for this article, as well. Did Greece also have the same dates for the establishment of Communism as did Russia and the rest of the countries behind the Iron Curtain? —Fr. Andrew talk contribs (THINK!) 19:10, May 29, 2008 (UTC)
- I agree Fr Andrew, absolutely :). It would not seem to apply. I haven't had time myself to think about this article yet, but an adjusted "era dating" system should be thought out for sure. Hats off to Vassiliki for thinking about this article to begin with however. On another note Fr., I was hoping you would have time to finish editing the rest of the Timeline of Church History from 1453-present, (plus a few more additions I did before 1453), as I look forward to that. Cheers Angellight 888
- Indeed, yes! This article is a fine idea. I hope that eventually a good many other articles like this may be created. It would probably work best if each were divided up according to what makes most sense for the history of the Church in those areas.
Hey Chris, is it possible to link the geographical locations of Greece to the relevant metropolis rather than to the Wikipedia? The idea would be to encourage people to stay within OrthodoxWiki for one thing and second it would link to the ecclesiastical history of the area rather than a general wiki article about the geographical location ...Example Patmos rather than w:Patmos or Athens rather than w:Athens. What do you think? I think it is a good idea ... Vasiliki
- Hi Vasiliki yes of course that would a great idea to link to the metropolis. Will do. A few subjects though, such as the holocaust of Arkadi Monastery in Crete, have no info yet on OW, so we'll either have to start new articles or have an external link there. But will try to stay inside OW for sure. Cheers, Angellight 888 03:43, January 5, 2009 (UTC)
Evangelising in Greece - Apostolic times
Dearest Chris (Angelight888), dont forget that Lazarus and the Virgin Mary were also present in Greece and would need to be incorporated into the intro paragraph ... Cyprus was not always independant from Greece and to some degree is still considered to be "Greek" although politically the agenda has changed in much recent times. Vasiliki 03:47, January 20, 2009 (UTC)
I think I'm giving up on editing timelines as my system can't handle their length. Please re-store the file! Wsk 18:36, May 30, 2009 (UTC)