In 1764, the Province of Revel was added to the St. Petersburg eparchy and the title of the ruling bishop was changed to Archbishop of St. Petersburg and Revel. On [[January 1]], 1775, the extent of the eparchy changed again with the addition of the Eparchy of Novgorod to that of the St. Petersburg. The title of the ruling bishop then became Archbishop of Novgorod and St Petersburg. In 1783, the title of the ruling hierarch was raised to Metropolitan.
As Church in St. Petersburg matured under the rule of Metr. Gavriil (Petrov-Shaposhnikov), the eparchy became the spiritual center of Russia. The addition of the monasteries on the islands of Valaam and Konevets added to this atmosphere. In 1797, Metr. founded the theological academy that would become one of four academies in Russia.
During the nineteenth century the area of the St. Petersburg eparchy under went many changes. In 1803, Estonia and Finland were added to the eparchy. Then, in mid century, first, Estonia, in 1865, was made a separate eparchy, followed in 1892 when Finland and the province of Novgorod were both made separate eparchies. With the changes of 1892, the extent of the eparchy of St. Petersburg was reduced to coincide with the borders of St. Petersburg Province and the title of the ruling hierarch changed to Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga. As 1917 began the number of religious institutions in the eparchy included 790 [[church]]es, sixteen [[monastery|monasteries]], and 465 [[chapel]]s with 1700 clergy and 1629 monastics.