In 1764, the Province of Revel was added to the St. Petersburg eparchy and the title of the ruling bishop was changed to Archbishop of St. Petersburg and Revel. On [[January 1]], 1775, the extent of the eparchy changed again with the addition of the Eparchy of Novgorod to that of the St. Petersburg. The title of the ruling bishop then became Archbishop of Novgorod and St Petersburg. In 1783, the title of the ruling hierarch was raised to Metropolitan.
As Church in St. Petersburg matured under the rule of Metr. [[Gavriil (Petrov) of Novgorod and St. Petersburg|Gavriil (Petrov-Shaposhnikov)]], the eparchy became the spiritual center of Russia. The addition of the monasteries on the islands of Valaam and Konevets added to this atmosphere. In 1797, Metr. Gavriil founded the theological academy that would become one of four academies in Russia.
During the nineteenth century the area of the St. Petersburg eparchy under went many changes. In 1803, Estonia and Finland were added to the eparchy. Then, in mid century, first, Estonia, in 1865, was made a separate eparchy, followed in 1892 when Finland and the province of Novgorod were both made separate eparchies. With the changes of 1892, the extent of the eparchy of St. Petersburg was reduced to coincide with the borders of St. Petersburg Province and the title of the ruling hierarch changed to Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga. As 1917 began the number of religious institutions in the eparchy included 790 [[church]]es, sixteen [[monastery|monasteries]], and 465 [[chapel]]s with 1700 clergy and 1629 monastics.
The eparchy began to revive in 1988 under the leadership of Metropolitan [[Alexei II (Ridiger) of Moscow|Alexei (Ridiger)]] of Leningrad and Novgorod aided by the government policy of ‘’peristroika’’. On [[December 27]], 1995, Metr. Vladimir (Kotlyarov) of St. Petersburg and Ladoga was named to lead the eparchy that had been returned to an area that consisted only of the Leningrad Region. By 2003, the eparchy had grown to 347 churches and 109 chapels, with 179 churches in re-named St Petersburg, supported by 557 priests. Additionally, there were seven male and four female monasteries, and seventeen representations of monasteries. The parish churches are organized into twenty districts that are headed by [[archpriest]]s, under the supervision of the St. Petersburg Eparchy administration that is led by the metropolitan. The metropolitan is advised by an eparchy council of twelve and seven departments. Since 2000, the main cathedral and seat of the metropolitan of the eparchy is Kazan Cathedral in central St. Petersburg.
The eparchy administers through the [[rector]]ship of [[vicar]] Bp. Konstantin (Goryanov) the [[St. Petersburg Theological Academy]] and Seminary. In 2000, the combined schools graduated 569 students. The eparchy also provides social support through the eparchy hospital that is dedicated to St. Xenia of St. Petersburg, an eparchy alms-house that is dedicated to St. Andrew of Crete, and the House of Compassion. Children’s Orphanage. A number of homeless shelters are also supported.