Feeds produced by OrthodoxWiki
There are many different feeds produced by OrthodoxWiki. At this point, some are autodetected by most browsers (not Internet Explorer 6 though), while others can be seen in the sidebar.
Standard feeds include:
- Recent Changes: RSS and Atom
- New pages: RSS and Atom
- Many other Special pages also have newsfeeds available (e.g. "popular pages", "users", "wanted pages", etc.). These will appear in the sidebar. They're a great way to keep up with what's happening on this site.
In addition to these, we've hacked OrthodoxWiki to be able to display a list recent updates in a particular Category. If you're using a "modern" browser, these will appear in the address bar when you click on the "RSS" button. If you're using Internet Explorer 6 or earlier, you'll have to manage these manually by adding either "&feed=rss" or "&feed=atom" to the end of a Category:Page URL. (I'm happy to say that RSS autodetection is being implemented in IE 7.)
Using feeds from other sites
OrthodoxWiki now has the ability to render newsfeeds from external sites, courtesy of the RSS-Feed extension and Magpie.
This extension can parse most popular kinds of RSS / RDF and Atom feeds.
The simplest usage is: <rss>http://examplesite.com/rss.xml</rss>
Optional parameters can be also be added in between the <rss> and </rss> tags. They should be separated by a pipe (|), just like in links and templates.
Supported parameters include:
- charset=... The charset used by the feed. iconv is used to convert this.
- short Do not show the description text for each news item.
- max=x Shows x most recent headlines.
- highlight= term1 term2 The terms separated by a space are highlighted.
- filter= term1 term2 Show only rss items containing at least one of the terms.
- reverse display the rss items in reverse order
A fuller example therefore might be:
Guidelines for Use
External RSS feeds should be used sparingly. Appropriate content includes:
- News from Orthodox sources or tailored for an Orthodox audience.
- Parish news, and local Orthodox events notice boards.
Please do not use this extension for blogfeeds -- check out OrthodoxBlogs.com for this purpose. Feeds deemed inappropriate by the sysops will be removed.
All pages with external feeds should be added to [[Category:Newsfeeds]].
External feeds are licensed by their distributors, and not subject in any way to the OrthodoxWiki copyright.
Articles are placed in this category when they use feeds from other sites.
- Category:Newsfeeds - a list of all pages about newsfeeds and all pages incorporating external newsfeeds on OrthodoxWiki