→History: Changed year of 6th district founding - was 1955 (property purchased, Bishop Polyefktos consecrated), not in 1960s.
Prior to the establishment of metropolises as sub-organizations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the Pittsburgh area was designated in
1968 the Sixth Archdiocese District of the [[Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America]]. In 1979, the [[archdiocese]] was re-organized under a decree of the Ecumenical Patriarchate into a number of [[diocese]]s of which the Diocese of Pittsburgh replaced the 6th district.
In 1996, the Archdiocese of North and South America was split into four separate archdioceses: those of America, Canada, Central America, and South America. With the establishment of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the title of the dioceses was changed to metropolises and the Diocese of Pittsburgh became the Metropolis of Pittsburgh in December 2002.