Diocese of Eldoret
Eldoret is only a hundred kilometers northwest from the Diocese of Kisumu. In the decade of 2010–20, its population almost doubled in size, and Eldoret surpassed Kisumu as the fifth-largest city of Kenya with almost half a million inhabitants. Being located in the Rift Valley, its altitude spans from 2,100 to 2,700 meters. Its cold temperature stays usually in 17 °C during the whole year.
The first ecclesiastical structure to incorporate East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi) was the Archdiocese of Irinoupolis in 1958, with its cathedral in Dar es-Salaam, Tanzania. In 1971, the missionary archdiocese was moved to Nairobi in Kenya and became the Archdiocese of Kenya in 1994. During the era of His Grace David of Sitka (2014–2020), he worked closely with His Eminence Makarios of Kenya in order to build a church in Eldoret dedicated to Saint Herman of Alaska.
In 2015, the archbishopric was renamed as Archdiocese of Nairobi, and the Diocese of Kisumu in Western Kenya was founded, suffragan to Nairobi. Kisumu gained jurisdiction over all Western Kenya, including Eldoret.
The see of Eldoret was established by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree of His Beatitude the Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria on October 9, 2019, together with the Diocese of Bukoba in Tanzania. The seat of Eldoret is still vacant to this day, under the administration of His Grace the Bishop of Kisumu Markos (Theodosis) and His Grace the Bishop of Nyeri Neophytos (Kongai). The diocese also runs a school.
On November 2020, His Beatitude Theodoros II visited Eldoret. He was welcomed by the fifty priests of the diocese, the chiefs of the tribes, the governors of Kisumu and Eldoret and a large number of Orthodox.