Open main menu

OrthodoxWiki β

Changes

St. Nicholas Church (Kenosha, Wisconsin)

1,295 bytes added, 03:40, November 11, 2014
more work on page
St. Nicholas Church is a church of the Orthodox Church in America, located in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
The church was organized in 1912, as part of the [[File:Stnickkenosha.jpg|right|thumb|px200|St. Nicholas Mutual Aid Society. The church was built in the early 1920s. In the beginning, priests from Chicago came up to serve this community. 2014]]
In As the early 1970scity of Kenosha grew at the beginning of the 20th century by virtue of being part of the industrial belt on Lake Michigan between Chicago and Milwaukee, Slavic immigrants began to settle in the city. One of these immigrants was a fire destroyed much man by the name of Max Petelin, who, with his sister Tatiana, encouraged their group to attend religious services with other Slavs. At this time, there was no Orthodox Church in the insides of area, so eventually the churchgroup in Kenosha requested that a priest come up from Chicago to conduct services. It took several months The first services were held in the Petelin home, but the space was not sufficient for the numbers wishing to rebuild attend on Holy Days. For a time, space was rented at St. Matthew Episcopal Church in Kenosha, but the expense made it prohibitive in the interiorlong term.
The group realized that they would need to organize and create an income base, and on 1 May 1912, a meeting was held that founded the church and later that month, the St. Nicholas Orthodox Brotherhood Mutual Aid Society was established, providing a means for members to help each other and to build an actual building of their own.
This is In 1916, a list of half-block lot was purchased, and the rectors of church hall was finished in 1918. It was also in 1918 that St. Nicholas Churchwas able to get its first full-time priest, Priest-Monk Peter Zaichencko.
St. Nicholas' second priest, Archpriest James Piateski, was also an architect, and he designed and oversaw the construction of the parish's church building, which was completed in 1930, and consecrated by Metropolitan Platon of the Russian Metropolia and His Grace Feofil, Bishop of Chicago.  In 1973, a fire destroyed much of the church, and it took nine months to rebuild.  '''Rectors of St. Nicholas Church''' *[[Hieromonk Peter Zaichenko, ]] 1918-1922 *[[V. Rev. James Piateski, ]] 1922-1938*[[V. Rev. Peter Dubrovski, ]] 1939-1940 *[[V. Rev. Alexander Pyza, ]] 1941-1947*[[Rev. Prokopius Povarnitsin, ]] 1947-1948 *[[Rev. Alexander Fedoronko, ]] 1948-1955*[[Rev. John Miller, ]] 1955-1957 *[[Rev. Michael Dirga, ]] 1957-1958*[[Rev. Stephen Jula, ]] 1958-1959 *[[V. Rev. K. Kaminsky, ]] 1959-1963*[[Rev. Andrew Goidich, ]] 1963-1966 *[[Rev. Theodore Orzolek, ]] 1966-1973*[[V. Rev. M. Targonsky, ]] 1973-1974 *[[Hieromonk Alexander Cutler, ]] 1974-1975*[[V. Rev. Alexis W. Fedec, ]] 1975-2005*[[Fr. Stephen J. Hrycyniak, ]] 2005-present
1,485
edits