Open main menu

OrthodoxWiki β

St. Sava Church (Jackson, California)

Revision as of 02:01, November 17, 2015 by Katjuscha (talk | contribs) (beginnings of an article)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

St. Sava Church in Jackson, California was the first Serbian Orthodox Church to be established in the United States or the Western Hemisphere. Instrumental to its establishment was a priest by the name of Sebastian Dabovich, who was determined to see the Orthodox faith established in the "New World". The church was finished in 1894; the original group of Serbs in the area having come to California because of the Gold Rush. St. Sava has operated continuously since its founding, and, since 1962 has operated a "Mission Foundation" to expand St. Sava's ministry through projects such as the purchase and establishment of a campground, care of the elderly, and support to historic churches.

St. Sava Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.


Sources