St. Sava Church (Jackson, California)
St. Sava Church in Jackson, California was the first Serbian Orthodox Church to be established in the United States or the Western Hemisphere. Instrumental to its establishment was a priest by the name of Sebastian Dabovich, who was determined to see the Orthodox faith established in the "New World". The church was finished in 1894; the original group of Serbs in the area having come to California because of the Gold Rush. St. Sava has operated continuously since its founding, and, since 1962 has operated a "Mission Foundation" to expand St. Sava's ministry through projects such as the purchase and establishment of a campground, care of the elderly, and support to historic churches.
St. Sava Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.