St. Anna Convent (Preston, Victoria)
The Holy Monastery of Saint Anna was a monastic community for women under the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand. The monastery was located in Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, and was established in 1995 under the omophorion of His Eminence Metropolitan Archbishop Paul of Australia and New Zealand. The superior was Riasaphora Virginia Hutchinson. The monastery was closed in 2015 when Sister Virginia moved to the Antiochian Village in Goulburn, New South Wales. The icons from Saint Anna Convent were removed from the chapel in Preston and relocated to the chapel in the Antiochian Village.
- 2002 Feb - the superior is editor of Orthodox Contact, a publication of the Antiochian Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas East Melbourne.
- 2002 May 16 - first Liturgy, celebrated by Archimandrite Nabil (Kachab).
- 2003 MIOCS established. Riasophora Virginia is the registrar.
- 2004 MIOCS has first lectures; Riasophora Virginia lectures along with some Melbourne clergy.
- 2005 Riasophora Virginia is assisted in her editing of Orthodox Contact by Shamassy Clare.
- 2015 Riasophora Virginia relocated to the Antiochian Village in Goulbourn and the monstery is closed.
- Library and reading room
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Met Basilios
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Siluan
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
This article about an Australian Monastery is a stub (i.e., in need of additional material). You can help OrthodoxWiki by expanding it.
- The Word, p12
- MIOCS Articles about MIOCS in the University of Melbourne's United Faculty of Theology News:
- UFT News, March 2004
- UFT News, April 2004
- UFT News, March 2005, including photographs of some lecturers.
- UFT News, June 2005
- Orthodox Contact News about the monastery:
- June 2002 - News about the first Liturgy
- August 2002 - Brief note about first feastday of the monastery.
- February 2003 - A pilgrim goes to the monasteries of St Anna and Gorgoepikoos.
- August 2003 - Brief note about cleaning up in preparation for the second feastday of the monastery.
- Summer 2005 - Shamassy Clare begins co-editing Orthodox Contact. page 3.
|Orthodoxy in Australia: Monasteries|
|Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia|
| Male: Pantanassa | St George | St John |
Female: Gorgoepikoos | Holy Cross
|Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia|
| Male: Holy Transfiguration | Archangel Michael |
Proph. Elias | St John the Baptist | Holy Trinity
Female: Our Lady of Kazan | Presentation
| Male: New Kalenic (Serbian) | St Sava (Serbian) |
Female: St Anna (Antiochian) | Nativity Skete (Serbian)