St. Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The St Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College is an Orthodox Christian seminary located in Sydney, Australia. It is a full-member school of the Sydney College of Divinity, a conglomerate of theological schools run by different Christian denominations. St Andrew's is an institution of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, and the current dean is Archbishop Stylianos (Harkianakis of Australia.
The institution was opened in Redfern on 23 Feb 1986, open only to male students to pursue a four-year Bachelor of Theology. In the late 1990s, the school changed the degree to being a three year bachelor degree (in line with all comparable degrees in Australia) with a compulsory fourth year of either honours or a graduate diploma.
St Andrew's currently offers a Bachelor of Theology, which with the fourth year is viewed as necessary for ordination; and also Honours in Bachelor of Theology, Master of Arts in Theological Studies, Master of Arts in Pastoral Ministry, Master of Theology, and Basic Unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in Aged Care. Honours programs for the Master of Arts, Master of Theology and doctoral programs can be done through the Sydney College of Divinity.
- 1930s: Metropolitan Timotheos contemplates possibility of establishing theological institution.
- 1950s: Ordinations of clergy take place in Australia. Metropolitan Theophylactos, after ordaining clergy in Australia, considers possibility of establishing an ecclesiastical seminary.
- 1959: Archbishop Ezekiel gives thought to establishing an ecclesiastical seminary. Appoints a committee for the St Andrew's War Memorial Theological College Fund.
- 1975: Archbishop Stylianos, on arrival in Australia, focuses on establishing a tertiary theological college.
- 1981 Jan: At the Fourth Clergy-Laity Congress, Sydney, Archbishop Stylianos requests and gains support for the beginning of a theological college.
- 1984 May: Archbishop Stylianos appoints an interim committee to consider and suggest ways of beginning the college, and to prepare the curriculum.
- 1984 Dec: On receipt of the report of the interim committee, three committees are established (building, administrative and academic).
- 1986 Feb: College opens. Tuition is conducted for residential students only.
- 2002: St Andrew's Orthodox Press established to produce 'The Greek-Australian Vema', the newspaper of the Archdiocese, with long-term view of publishing works of the faculty.
- ~2003: St Andrew's begins to offer two intensive courses every semester for all members of the public, to the achievement of a Graduate Certificate of Theology (after four subjects, the equivalent of one semester full-time study), a Graduate Diploma of Theology (after 8 subjects) and a Masters of Arts in Theological Studies (after 12 subjects).
- Archbishop Stylianos (Harkianakis) of Australia, BD, DD, ThD HC. Dean of St Andrew's, full-time Lecturer in Systematic Theology.
- Bishop Seraphim (Ginis), BD (Hons). Sub-Dean of St Andrew's, full-time lecturer in Liturgical Studies
- Vassilis Adrahtas, BTh, MPhil. Sessional lecturer in Patristic Studies and Missiology
- James Athanasou, LittB, MA, PhD, DipEd, MAPS. Sessional lecturer in Christian Education
- Guy Freeland, BA (Hons), PhD, CertHist&PhilSci. Sessional lecturer in Church Symbolism and Iconography
- Rev. Alan Galt, MA. Part-time lecturer in Pastoral Theology and Practise
- Rachael Goth, BA (Hons), MTh. Sessional lecturer in New Testament Greek
- Chris Harvey, AssocDipLibPract. Librarian
- Anastasios Kalogerakis, BBus, BTh. Registrar
- Philip Kariatlis, BA, BTh, MTh. Academic secretary and full-time associate lecturer in Systematic Theology
- Alexander Kariotoglou, BD, DD. Full-time lecturer in Patristic Studies and Missiology
- Dimitri Kepreotes, BA, BTh, MTh. Part-time associate lecturer in Christian Education
- Dcn Sophronios Konidaris, BTh. Chaplain
- Gerasimos Koutsouras, BA, MA, MTh. Lectures in Byzantine Music
- John Lee, BA (Hons), PhD. Sessional lecturer in Advanced New Testament Greek
- Rev. John McSweeney, STB, SSL. Sessional lecturer in New Testament Studies
- Ken Parry, BA (Hons), PhD. Sessional lecturer in Early Church History
- Very Rev. Steven Scoutas, BD (Hons). Sessional lecturer in Priestly Formation
- Rev. Constantine Varipatis, BComm, BTh, MTh (Hons). Lectures in Pastoral Theology and Practise
- Very Rev. George Vassiliades, BD (Hons). Sessional lecturer in Patristic Studies and Canon Law
- Rev. Raymond Williamson, BA, MA, ThL, PhD. Sessional lecturer in Reformation History and Ecumenical Studies
- Asterios Zouriakas, BTh, GradDipEd. Lectures in Byzantine Music
- St Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College (official site)