On arrival to Moscow he presently inquired at the [[Theophany Orthodox cathedral in Elokhovo (Moscow, Russia)|Elokhovo cathedral]] whether there were any theological schools open, and was sent to the [[Moscow theological seminary]]. After graduation he went on to study at the [[Moscow theological academy]]. In 1953 or 1954 he received [[monasticism|monastic]] [[tonsure]] at the [[Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra|Trinity-Sergius Lavra]]. On graduation from the academy in 1954 he was already a [[hieromonk]].
Since 1954 he served at the [[Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra|Trinity-Sergius Lavra]]. First as an altar-server, since 1965 to the present - as the brotherhood confessor, since 1970 - as the treasurer.