The relics of the saints are venerated because in orthodox belief the body remains temple of the Holy Spirit even after death. St.Cyril of jerusalem writes:
"Though the soul is not present a power resides in the bodies of the saints because of the righteous soul which has for so many years dwelt in it, or used it as its minister."
Many of the relics also do many miracles which glorifies god like the body of Saint Nektarios which after he had passed away his body was dripping sweet smelling sweat and never decayed until 20 years after his death.
Articles on Relics
Articles available online
- Why Relics?
- The Place of Holy Relics in the Orthodox Church (or here) - by St. Justin Popovich
- On the Veneration of the Holy Relics and Remains of the Saints by Archpriest Vasily Demidov
- Gleanings from Orthodox Christian Authors and the Holy Fathers
Books and Studies
- Holy Relics - A pamphlet by T. L. Frazier
Pictures of Relics
- The relics of St. Innocent of Irkutsk, in the Znamensky Monastery Cathedral, Irkutsk, Siberia, Russia