Orthodoxy in Australasia
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
Since the first Divine Liturgy celebrated at Kirribilli Point, Sydney, in 1820; to its first priest in 1896 and first bishop in 1924 and to the present day, Orthodoxy in Australasia has a short history that is extremely undocumented and, therefore, largely unseen. This article seeks to be a clearinghouse of information and links regarding the history and state of Orthodox Christianity in Australia, New Zealand, and (God willing) in Oceania.
- Hilarion (Kapral) of Sydney
- Joseph (Harkiolakis) of New Zealand
- Milutin of Australia and New Zealand
- Paul (Saliba) of Australia and New Zealand
- Stylianos (Harkianakis) of Australia
Other major figures
- Bishop Nektarios (Kellis) of Madagascar, Greek-Australian missionary to Madagascar, and first bishop thereof.
- Archimandrite Themistocles (Adamopoulo), formerly lecturer at St.Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College; currently assistant dean of the Orthodox Patriarchal Ecclesiastical School 'Archbishop Macarius III' in Nairobi.
- Archimandrite Stefanos (Pantanassiotis), Abbot of the Monastery of Pantanassa
- Abbess Kallistheni, Abbess of the Monastery of Gorgoepikoos
Only those with OrthodoxWiki entries are shown
With Local Bishop
- Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
- Greek Orthodox Metropolitanate of New Zealand
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia - Diocese of Australia and New Zealand
- Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand and Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand - New Gracanica Metropolitanate (while these are two seperate dioceses, there is one bishop ruling/administrating both)
Without Local Bishop
- Moscow Patriarchate in Australia; with a single parish, "Holy Trinity Orthodox Church", in Melbourne.
- Orthodox Church in America - Parishes in Australia; with two parishes in Sydney and one parish in Brisbane.
- Romanian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand; with five parishes in Australia.
Organizations and Institutions
- Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Churches of Australia (SCCOCA)
- St Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College
- Holy Monastery of Pantanassa
- Holy Monastery of Gorgoepikoos
- Holy Monastery of St John of the Mountain
- (None as yet)
- (None as yet)