Dr. Jean-Claude Larchet is a French Orthodox researcher who is one of the foremost Orthodox Patristics scholars writing today. Born in 1949, Dr. Larchet converted to the Orthodox Church from the Roman Catholic Church at the age of 22. He holds doctorates in philosophy (1987) and theology (1994) from the University of Strasbourg. He is one of the very few contemporary authors who is able seamlessly to combine rigorous scholarship with a vibrant sense of the inner life of the Church. His prolific writings on the spirituality of the Fathers of the Church and on orthodox theology have been translated into no less than 15 languages.
Saint Maxime le Confesseur (2003)
Series on Illness and Healing
Equally remarkable is his three-part series on illness and healing in the Patristic tradition:
- The Theology of Illness (2002), and
- Mental Disorders and Spiritual Healing (2005).
- Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses (2012)
The third volume of Dr. Larchet's trilogy – The Therapy of Spiritual Illness - has been released in Greek translation by Apostoliki Diakonia (the official imprint of the Church of Greece) under the title:
The Greek edition (in two volumes) was officially released at a major function held in Athens on Wednesday, April 7, 2009, attended by over 200 people, including several hierarchs, many clergy, and representatives of the Theology Faculty of the University of Athens. The event was opened by Metropolitan Damaskinos, a member of the Holy Synod, who read a letter of greeting from the Primate of the Church of Greece, Archbishop Ieronymos II of Athens and All Greece. Further remarks were offered by Bishop Agathangelos, general editor of Apostoliki Diakonia; Metropolitan Hierotheos of Nafpaktos, who is well known for his own works written in a similar vein; Hieromonk Damianos of Mt Athos, who is trained both as a doctor and a theologian; Stylianos Papadopoulos, professor emeritus of patrology at the Theological Faculty of the University of Athens; and, finally, the author himself, who expressed his gratitude to the translators and publishers of his work. On the following day Dr. Larchet was interviewed for the Church of Greece's radio station and received by His Beatitude, Archbishop Ieronymos.</ref>
Other books in english
- Life after death according to the Orthodox Tradition (2012)
- Elder Sergei of Vanves: Life and Teachings (2012)
- On the Love of Enemies: The Teaching of St. Silouan. In Communion. (Posted Sunday, October 24th, 2004)
- But I Say To You, Love Your Enemies
- The Question of the Roman Primacy in the Thought of Saint Maximus the Confessor. In: Cardinal Walter Kasper. The Petrine Ministry: Catholics and Orthodox in Dialogue: Academic Symposium Held at the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. The Newman Press, 2006. pp.188-209.
- Fr. Felix Culpa. Jean-Claude Larchet. ORA ET LABORA. May 10, 2009.
- Apostoliki Diakonia. New Publications: The Healing of Spiritual Disorders: An Introduction in the Ascetic Tradition of the Orthodox Church, Vol. A'. By Jean Claude Larchet. Transl. into Greek by Christos Koulas. 2009.
- Jean-Claude Larchet. ORA ET LABORA. Friday, May 8, 2009.