Open main menu

OrthodoxWiki β

Burazeri (Athos)

The cell of Burazeri, also Belozyorka, is a satellite monastic community of the Monastery of Chilandari on Mount Athos. It is one of the few cells on Mount Athos that can be easily found as one only needs to follow the numerous signs from Karyes labeled with the name Burazeri along the way.


According to a legend Archbishop Sava, in the late twelfth century, had gone to Jerusalem soon after restoring the abandoned monastery of Chilandari. On his return he debarked from the boat on the east side of the Athos peninsula. However, he lost his way to Karyes and spent a night in an empty cell he found on his way. In the morning Sava thanked the care taker who in return presented the cell to Sava. Abp. Sava restored the cell and came to it when he needed to search for solitude.

In 1882, a Russian monk Anthony moved into the cell, followed, with the blessing of abbot Makary, by twelve Russian novices. Subsequently, Peter the elder son of monk Anthony was tonsured a monk at the cell. He later became its abbot. As abbot, Peter took on the burden of renovating the cell for which he sought help from Russia.


The cell has become well known on Mount Athos and is more of a small monastery than a cell. It is recognized for its Russian style despite recent Greek style restoration. The cell has two churches, one dedicated to St. Nicholas and the other to the Protection of the Theotokos. The cell is noted for its iconography, especially for that of the Mother of God.