Difference between revisions of "Apostle Simon"
m (→External links: fixed broken GOARCH link)
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
Revision as of 13:26, October 25, 2012
Simon was born in Cana of Galilee and was one of the Twelve Great Apostles. He was the bridegroom at the wedding feast where Christ changed the water into wine (John 2:1-11). Because of that miracle, St. Simon left his home, parents and bride to follow Christ. After Pentecost, he preached the Gospel in Mauritania in Africa.
He ended his missionary work in Georgia. St. Simon was tortured and crucified by the pagans in Abkhazia.
Troparion (Tone 3)
- O holy apostle Simon,
- entreat the merciful God,
- to grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- Let us all bless the eloquent Simon in praise,
- who sowed the doctrines of wisdom in the hearts of the faithful;
- for he now stands before the throne of glory
- and rejoices with the angels,
- as he prays for us all unceasingly.