As the main area of growth of the North American mission in the first decade of the twentieth century was in the northeastern part of the United States, the majority of students for the seminary came from that area. Additionally, the administrative center of the diocese was also in New York City. After an evaluation of the situation, a decision was made to move the seminary from Minneapolis to the eastern states to be closer to the student population and the Church administration.
In 1912, the diocese bought a fourteen and a half acres estate with a large mansion near Tenafly, New Jersey as the home for the seminary. The seminary was then moved from Minneapolis and renamed St. Platon's Orthodox Theological Seminary. The mansion was large enough that it housed the dormitory, classrooms, offices, and a [[chapel]] that was dedicated to St. [[Platon, the Confessor of the Studios]].
The academic program at the seminary was four years long. leading to the award of a diploma. During the first year students studied the Old and New Testaments; dogmatics; fundamental, moral and pastoral theology; history of the early Church, the Russian Church, and sectarianism; homiletics; liturgical practice, and catechism. The second year consisted of philosophical and scientific studies including philosophy, history of philosophy, logic, psychology, physiology, hygenics, physics, mathematics, and pedagogics. The third year covered philological studies including Russian and English language and grammar, history of Russian and English literature, English literature, and lexicography. In the final year, the course included studies of political sciences including sociology; histories of Russia, the United States, and Western civilization; and Church music.