He laid the cornerstone of the Russian [[church]] of St. Mary Magdalen in Gethsemane on [[January 21]], 1885 and [[consecration of a church|consecrated]] it on [[September 29]], 1888.
[[Image:Madaba map-800px.jpg|right|thumb|150px|Madaba mosaic map of Jerusalem]]
During his administration the first reports of the discovery of the mosaics on the floor of Church of St. George were made. However, Patr. Nicodemus was preoccupied attempting to improve the dismal financial status of the patriarchate
and well as improving relationships with other Christian communities such that the reports were not a priority with him. The management of the recovery of the mosaics would be done by his successor, Patr. [[Gerasimus of Jerusalem|Gerasimus]].