→"The Wonderworker": internal link
[[Image:Dionysioszakynthos.jpg|thumb|200px|St. Dionysius of Zakynthos]]
Relics]]Our father among the [[saint]]s '''Dionysius of Zakynthos''' was born in 1547 on the island of Zakynthos in the Ionian Sea. Before becoming a monk his name was ''Draganigos Sigouros'' He was educated by [[priest]]s and became fluent in Greek, Italian, and Latin. He excelled in theology, became a monk in 1568, received his first degree of [[ordination]] as a priest in 1570 as ''Daniel''; he later became [[hieromonk]] of Zakynthos and Strofades. In 1577 he was raised to [[Archbishop]] of Aegina and Poros and after a year abdicated from this dignity and settled in Zakynthos as an abbot of a monastery. In [[December 17]], 1622 he fell asleep in the Lord. He had asked to be buried in this monastery and his grave is still to be found in the chapel of St George; a dependant of the monastery.
It has been found that his body remains intact and emits a mixed fragrance of flowers and frankincense. Therefore he is [[veneration|venerated]], and his sainthood has been proclaimed by the [[Patriarch of Constantinople]]. His [[feast day]] is celebrated on December 17, and on [[August 24]], the Church celebrates the transfer of his holy [[relics]].
Dionysios grants his people many blessings; and many [[miracle]]s are reported in connection with his ministry.
For example, when the Greek Orthodox Church of St.
[[Nicholas_of_Myra|Nicholas]] was destroyed on [[September 11]], 2001, during the World Trade Center attack, only two things were recovered intact: a [[cross]] and a paper [[icon]] of Dionysios.
=="The Walking Saint"==
=="Housing of the Relic"==
In 1717, the monks, of the monastery of Strofades, moved the Saints relic and placed it inside the metochi <ref> A building that belongs to a religious institution. </ref> of Kalliteros in order to protect him from various destructive invasions by pirates in the area. At a later date, a church was built in his honour in the Ammos area and shortly converted into a monastery. Later, in 1764, the church of the monastery was rebuilt and in 1854 a steeple added to the church. In 1893, all this was destroyed by a major earthquake and a temporary church constructed to house the Saint until in 1925 there took place a foundation ceremony to rebuild an earthquake-resistant church; fully completed by 1948.<ref> The Church was designed by [[Anastasios Orlandos]]. </ref> In 1953, when the next major earthquake hit the island, the church remained
untouchable and was used as a refugee for the homeless. Three years later, a new monastery was built to replace the ruins and has since been called "The Holy Monastery of Strofades and Saint Dionysios".
[[el:Άγιος Διονύσιος Ζακύνθου]]