St. Nikephoros was a [[hieromonk]] born around 1750 in the town of Kardamyla, in the northeastern part of the famous Aegean island of [[Metropolis of Chios|Chios]]. As a child he fell seriously ill with a contagious disease. His parents vowed that if he survived he would be given as a monk to the monastery of [[Nea Moni]].
:''Although St Nicephorus probably reposed in the summer of 1821, his Feast Day is designated as May 1. He died in a home near the church of St Paraskeve, where he sometimes stayed overnight when he was unable to get back to Resta. His body was brought back to Resta, and was placed in a grave where both St [[Athanasius Parios|Athanasius Parius]] and the monk Nilus had once been buried. The holy [[relics]] of St Nicephorus were uncovered in 1845 and brought to the metropolitan church of Chios. Many years later, the Guild of Tanners asked for the relics and placed them in the church of St George. In 1907, an [[icon]] of St Nicephorus was painted, and a church service was composed in his honor.''<ref>[http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=101262 Venerable Nicephorus of Chios] ([[OCA]])</ref>