→"The Wonderworker": internal link
right| thumb|St. Dionysius of Zakynthos]]Our father among the [[saint]]s '''Dionysius of Zakynthos''' was born in 1547 on the island of Zakynthos in the Ionian Sea. Before becoming a monk his name was ''Draganigos Sigouros'' He was educated by [[priest]]s and became fluent in Greek, Italian, and Latin. He excelled in theology, became a monk in 1568, received his first degree of [[ordination]] as a priest in 1570 as ''Daniel''; he later became [[hieromonk]] of Zakynthos and Strofades. In 1577 he was raised to [[Archbishop]] of Aegina and Poros and after a year abdicated from this dignity and settled in Zakynthos as an abbot of a monastery. In [[December 17]], 1622 he fell asleep in the Lord. He had asked to be buried in this monastery and his grave is still to be found in the chapel of St George; a dependant of the monastery.
It has been found that his body remains intact and emits a mixed fragrance of flowers and frankincense. Therefore he is [[veneration|venerated]], and his sainthood has been proclaimed by the [[Patriarch of Constantinople]]. His [[feast day]] is celebrated on December 17, and on [[August 24]], the Church celebrates the transfer of his holy [[relics]].
St. Dionysius was remarkable in his forgiveness and love for his fellow man.
A man came to St. Dionysius's cell and begged the saint to hide him from his pursuers. When St. Dionysius asked
the man why he was being pursued, the man told him that he had killed a [[monk]], the saint's own beloved brother. St. Dionysius was very grieved but hid the man and did not surrender him to the law. The murderer later repented and became a monk himself.
St. Dionysius is an example to us all for his forgiveness of even the most grievous sins against us.
Dionysios grants his people many blessings; and many [[miracle]]s are reported in connection with his ministry.
For example, when the Greek Orthodox Church of St.
[[George the Trophy-bearer|George]] was destroyed on [[September 11]], 2001, during the World Trade Center attack, only two things were recovered intact: a [[cross]] and a paper [[icon]] of Dionysios.
=="The Walking Saint"==
=="Housing of the Relic"==
In 1717, the monks, of the monastery of Strofades, moved the Saints relic and placed it inside the metochi <ref> A building that belongs to a religious institution. </ref> of Kalliteros in order to protect him from various destructive invasions by pirates in the area. At a later date, a church was built in his honour in the Ammos area and shortly converted into a monastery. Later, in 1764, the church of the monastery was rebuilt and in 1854 a steeple added to the church. In 1893, all this was destroyed by a major earthquake and a temporary church constructed to house the Saint until in 1925 there took place a foundation ceremony to rebuild an earthquake-resistant church; fully completed by 1948.<ref> The Church was designed by [[Anastasios Orlandos]]. </ref> In 1953, when the next major earthquake hit the island, the church remained
untouchable and was used as a refugee for the homeless. Three years later, a new monastery was built to replace the ruins and has since been called "The Holy Monastery of Strofades and Saint Dionysios".
/en/chapel/saints .asp?contentid=342 Dionysios of Zakynthos] ([[GOARCH]])
*[http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?FSID=103564 Venerable Dionysius of Aegina] ([[OCA]])
[[el:Άγιος Διονύσιος Ζακύνθου]]