Jump to: navigation, search
revised category
The {{orthodoxyinaustralia}}'''St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church ''', in Forrest, Canberra, Australia, is a [[parish]] in the [[Holy Synod in Resistance]]'''s [[Diocese]] of Sydney and New South Wales, and is currently served by Fr Dragan Saracevic.  [[Image:STGEORGECHURCH.JPG|left|thumb|300px|St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church, Forrest, Canberra, Australia]] ==Founding and Hiatus (1955-1992)==St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church was formed in 1955, ended in served by Fr Dusan Popovic. In 1963, and resurrected in 1992. From 1963-1992the church experienced some unspecified difficulties, during which time a group of former Yugolav Yugoslav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George , Inc' organisation with the ACT government, an organisational structure that continued until 1992.  The parishioners acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a [[church]] building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav ''Cetnik'' (Royal Yugoslavian Armed Forces) General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to [[Monastery of St. Sava (Elaine, Victoria)|St Sava Monastery]] in Elaine, Victoria.
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
==Serbian Patriarchate (1992-2008)==Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal foldChurch of Serbia, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox [[bishop]]s, including the Serbian [[Patriarch]] [[Pavle (Stojcevic) of Serbia|Pavle]] in November 2004. During the early 1990’s, the Church was fortunate to be recognised amongst the Australian Capital Territory's Heritage Listed sites and remains a civic icon of Canberra to this day. Fr Jakov Jovic served the church from 1992, and was succeeded by Fr Stanisa Ostojic in 2004. In July August 2006, Bishop Milutin removed the [[antimension]] from the [[altar]] of St George's. At an unknown date, the antimension was replaced. Fr Nikola Bilic succeeded Fr Stanisa as the [[parish]] had no resident [[priest]]during this year. In 2007, the church was blessed with the restoration of the frescoes that line the ceiling and walls. These frescos have drawn many tourists to Canberra to the church, sharing in the beauty of Serbian Orthodoxy depicted in these frescoes whilst learning about several significant events that shaped our Serbian Orthodoxy. Fr Nikola Bilic concluded his service during this year, without immediate successor.
==Holy Synod in Resistance (2008-present)==In August 2006, in an unrelated matterMarch 2008, Bishop Milutin Irinej removed the antimension from the [[altar]] of St George'sfor the second time in two years, authorising for chains to bar the main gates. It is reported (by whom?) that this is due to the church's connection to the Serbian anti-communist freedom fighter Draza Mihailovic: a plaque carrying a dedication to Draza appears at dispute, variously between the entrance to property trustees and/or with the churchmajority of regular parishioners.
In March 2008Following this dispute, Bishop Irinej removed the antimension parish broke away from the altar for Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (New Gracanica Metropolitanate), and reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox Church. During 2009, the second time in two years. It is reported that this was due parish faced the decision to a dispute with be amalgamated into the Property Trusteesnewly formed Organisation established by Bishop Irinej or to seek acceptance elsewhere.
Following Choosing the dispute with Bishop Irinejlatter option, the parish has been accepted into The [[Holy Synod in Resistance]], an [[Old Calendarist|Old Calendar]] Church broke off ties with Bishop Irinej's administration based in Greece, receiving a blessing from the St. Cyprian and has reverted to its original name of St George Free Serbian Orthodox ChurchJustina Monastery, Greece. ==Clergy==* The current parish priest, from 2009, is Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)* Fr Jakov Jovic 'prophet' (1992-2004)* Fr Stanisa Ostojic (2004-2006)* Fr Nikola Bilic (2006-present)Dragan Saracevic.
==Contact==Address: 32 National CircuitA parallel parish administration aligned with the Serbian Orthodox Church also exists, Forrest, ACT<br>Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603<br>with Fr. Jakov Jovic installed as parish priest by Bishop Irinej.
==See also==
*[[Holy Synod in Resistance]]
*[[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand]]
[[Category: Churches in Australia|George]]
[[Category:Orthodoxy in Australia|George]]

Navigation menu