Jump to: navigation, search

Cave of the Apocalypse

496 bytes removed, 16:26, February 10, 2012
The '''Cave of the Apocalypse''' is situated between the place where villages of Skala and Chora on the ''Voice island of God'' was heard by his disciple and saint, [[Patmos]] in Greece. It is in this cave that Christians believe St. [[John the Theologian]]; saw Christ and visions of "fire and for this reason it brimstone" that John dictated to his disciple, [[Prochoros]], in what is known today as the [[Book of Revelation]]. It is said, that the Voice of God could be heard coming from the cleft of the rock that is still visible in the cave today. This rock is divided into three which Christians say symbolises the [[Holy Trinity]]. The cave is considered to be the first hermitage on the island because of [[Patmos]]the saint's presence. The view from this cave and the mysticism of the atmosphere is incredible. It is situated between Skala and Chora.
Today, a pilgrim can see the place at which the Apocalypse was written, the place where St. John stayed, the massive rock that opened up in there and through which God dictated the Apocalypse to St. John, the point were the Evangelist lay his head to rest and a curve on the rock, which he would hold onto, in order to rise - the southern part of the cave has been turned into a church.This is a UNESCO World heritage site <ref>UNESCO, World Heritage Site #942, webpage: [ WHC-UNESCO-942]</ref>
In this Holy cave, a little church was also built to honour the [[Translation (relics)|translation ]] (metastasis) of the Evangelist, St. [[John the Theologian|John]] (honoured every year [[September 26]]). Later, in the time of St. Christodoulos (1088), another little church was added to honour St. Anna, the mother of the [[Theotokos|Virgin Mary]].
With the passing of time, the chain of hermits at the Cave, have contributed to the addition of cells and little churches around the Cave forming the current building structure in the region today.
* The Archbishop of Samos, Joseph Georgirinis Milius lived in the Holy cave in 1671.
** ''the Archbishop wrote a description of the island of Patmos in which he mentions the hermitages and local worship of the area including a story about a fig tree growing in the area of the monastery showing hte letters of the word "Apocalypse"''.
* November 8, 1672 the Reverand Father Ioakim Matilas died in "Theoskepasti" <ref> another name Another reference for the Cave , in Greek. </ref>.* [[Makarios Kalogeras]], the founder of the ''Patmiada'' lived and died in the Cave in 1737.* the Metropolitan Daniel of Bizyes lived in the Cave for a while (d. August 13, 1813).* the hermit Theokitsos from Axario of Asia Minor, used the Cave as a place for peace and finally dided in the Cave in March 29, 1917.* the monk Ignatius Gazos the Fryos, lived for 45 years in the hermitage of Apollo and died December 11, 1918.* the monk Isidoros Stratos died in the cave on May 25, 1943.* Finally, the monk [[Amphilochios (Makris)]], director of the Apocalypse and the founder of the Holy Monastery of the Evangelismos, renovated the church of St. Anna and redecorated the walls with murals in 1925.
== World Heritage Classification, UNESCO ==*Date of Inscription - 1999*Reference No. 942*Criteria: (iii), (iv) and (vi)**''(iii)'' - The town of Chorá on the island of Pátmos Apocalypse cave is one of the few settlements in Greece that have evolved uninterruptedly since the 12th century. There are few other places in the world where religious ceremonies that date back no longer used as a hermitage due to the early Christian times are still location being practised unchanged. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref>**''(iv)'' - The Monastery of Hagios Ioannis Theologos (Saint John the Theologian) and the Cave of the Apocalypse on the island of Pátmos, together with the associated medieval settlement of Chorá, constitute recognised as an exceptional example of a traditional Greek Orthodox pilgrimage centre of outstanding architectural interest. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref>**''(vi)'' - The Monastery of Hagios Ioannis Theologos and the Cave of the Apocalypse commemorate the site where St John the Theologian (Divine), the “Beloved Disciple”, composed two of the most sacred international shrine for Christian works, his Gospel and the Apocalypse. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref> <ref> Note on Criterion (iv) - A delegate of Thailand raised the question of eligibility of criterion (vi). He thought that the criterion should be applied. This recommendation was also endorsed by ICOMOS and the Committee. Delegates and observers commended the high values of the site and decided to keep the criterion.</ref>*Documentations**1999, [ "Advisory Body Evaluation"]**1999, [ "Nomination File"] (9.886 MB file)**1999, [ Decision "Report of the 23rd Session of the Committee"]
== References ==
[[Category:Orthodox UNESCO World Heritage Sites]]
[[Category:Pilgrimage Sites]]

Navigation menu