Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Spirit of Orthodoxy Choir

1,530 bytes removed, 16:04, April 13, 2016
m
Director: internal link & spelling
This is the The '''OrthodoxWiki SandboxSpirit of Orthodoxy Choir'''! Feel free to edit here to your heart's content! '''Note:''' Because this sandbox is for use by all editors, anything added here may well be gone or reverted in seconds. Its main use is for testing editing syntax. If you need a long-term sandbox choir composed of your own, you may want to create a subpage Orthodox Christian singers in your own userspace entitled something like ''User:Yourusernamehere/Sandbox''. {{monastery|name=Yelabuga Convent of the Kazan Icon New York - New Jersey - Pennsylvania area of the Mother of God|jurisdiction=[[Diocese of Kazan and Tatarstan]], [[Church of Russia]]|type=Female Monastery|founded=1868|superior=[[Abbess]] Vera (Shevchenko)|size=15 nuns|hq= Yelabuga City, Tatarstan|language= Slavonic|music=[[Russian Chant]]|calendar=[[Julian Calendar|Julian]]|feasts=unknown|website=http://[www.kazan.eparhiaUnited States.ru/english/monastyri/yelabugmon/ Diocesan Web site]}}The ‘’’Yelabuga Convent of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God’’’ It is a [[monastery]] for women that was founded committed to singing in the mid-nineteenth century in English language the city great works of Yelabuga in Orthodox music that glorifies God and expresses the [[Diocese of KazanOrthodox faith, Tatarstan]]. Having been virtually destroyed during thus opening the Soviet years, restoration treasury of the [[convent]] has been ongoing since its return Orthodox music to the [[Church of Russia]] in 1995community.
==History==
The merchant I. I. Stakheyev initiated Spirit Of Orthodoxy Choir was established in 1997 under the establishment direction of the convent in 1868, at his expenseAleksei Shipovalnikov. The overall design choir consists of the convent complex was by the architect G. A. Boose, who placed the main temple, the Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God in center of the convent grounds, with the whole surrounded by a stone wall. This singers from various [[churchparish]] was completed in 1868. Other buildings were built, arranged around the central church. Three story residence buildings were built to the east es and north of the church. The monastery hospital was incorporated in the northern building, that also included, since 1887, the Church of the Great Martyr Barbara. The residence of the Mother [[Superiorjurisdiction]] was a small two-story house built in the eastern part of the compound. Entrance s who are dedicated to church singing and who desire to be witnesses to the monastery was faith through a turreted and arched gate in the southern part of the wallmusic.
After These music selections represent three schools of Russian Church music and have been sufficiently translated into English. Some of the Bolsheviks took control of Russia choir's repertoire has been unheard in 1917, the Commissariat for Enlightening established a children’s city within the convent grounds, yet permitted the community of West. The Choir sings chiefly in English but also performs music in [[nunChurch Slavonic]]s . Their repertoire witnesses to the range and quality of the church to continue to functionliturgical life of the Orthodox Church. Their singing is a capella, although this was not permissible under the new Soviet lawswithout instrumentation. This changed when the government is typical of the city decided to close Orthodox Church, where the convent human voice and soul are invaluable in 1928. The members of the convent community petitioned for return of the church, but were refusedworship.
With ==Director==Aleksei V. Shipovalnikov was born in Rostov on the nuns banished from Don and studied composition, polyphony and conducting at the convent, Gnesin Sate Conservatory and the Soviets destroyed Moscow Institute of Culture. His post-graduate studies included a master class with Leonard Bernstein in 1988. He served as Artistic Director and Manager of the wall Moscow State University Symphony Orchestra and Academic Choir and disassembled has conducted in the church Soviet Union, West Germany and bell towerPoland. The bricks from He established a reputation during the Communist era for innovative programming in spite of the buildings were given to a construction grouppolitical risks involved. The children’s city continued In 1990 he moved to function until 1930 while the remaining buildings United States, where he has served as Choir Director of [[Christ the monastery were used as ordinary living quarters. During World War II Saviour Church (San Francisco, California)|Christ the grounds Saviour Church, San Francisco]] and Music Director of the monastery were used as a prisoner-Slavyanka Men's Slavic Chorus. He was Professor of-war campLiturgical Music at [[St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary (South Canaan, Pennsylvania)|St. Tikhon's Seminary]], South Canaan, Pennsylvania. He is currently Music Director at [[Ss. Peter and Paul Church (Jersey City, New Jersey)|Ss. Peter and Paul Orthodox Church, Jersey City, a use that continued until 1949New Jersey]].
===Restoration=External Link==Restoration of the convent began in 1993 when part of the monastery was returned to the Diocese of Kazan, On * [[February 8]], 1995, the ruling [[hierarch]] of the Diocese of Kazan and Tatarstan, Archbishop Anastassy, consecrated the restore Church of the Great Martyr Barbara and the [[monasticism|monastic]] community was revivedhttp://www. Restoration work has continued including repair of the residential buildings and reconstruction of the monastery wall and the central Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of Godspiritoforthodoxy. From the onset of the reconstruction, the revival of the convent has been under the guidance of the Mother Superior, [[Abbess]com/ Official website] Vera (Shevchenko), who leads the community of fifteen nuns.
==Source==
*[http://www.kazan.eparhia.ru/english/monastyri/yelabugmon/ Yelabuga Convent of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God]
[[Category: MonasteriesChurch Music]][[Category: Russian MonasteriesOrganizations]]
1,348
edits

Navigation menu