In 1956, Archbishop [[Sava (Rayevsky) of Sydney|Sava of Sydney]], Australia and New Zealand commissioned Hieromonk Dimitry (Obuhoff) to establish a monastery at Kentlyn (near Cambelltown, southwest of Sydney), on land donated by [[Protodeacon]] Peter Grishaev. To join him, the Archbishop recruited three candidates to test their monastic vocation with Hmk Dimitry. The first [[Divine Liturgy]] was celebrated on [[September 16]], 1956.
By March 1959, however, Hmk Dimitry had been transferred to care for the Russian parish in Geelong, Victoria; two of the novices returned to the world, and Michael Sorokhin, the third novice, was left in charge of the diocesan workshop and candle factory in an adjoining rugged and densely timbered sandstone property. This property would later became Saint John the Baptist Skete.
On [[October 5]], 1960, Monk [[Guri (Demidov)]] arrived in Australia as a refugee from Harbin, China. He took up residence at St John the Baptist Skete. Living in a small, one room tin hut surrounded by thick bush he became its first, and only, monastic inhabitant. Fr Guri was devoted to prayer and craved solitude, and found both in the 18 hectare grounds of the skete, often attending daily services at the nearby [[Monastery of Our Lady of Kazan (Kentlyn, Australia)|Convent of Our Lady of Kazan]].
In imitation of the monastic hermits in Egypt, Judea,
Mt Athos and Russia, Fr Guri cleared out a natural cleft in a nearby sandstone rock face, and so made a small, cramped cave where he would spend many hours reading prayers and using his prayer rope. Only God and the holy Angels were witnesses to his prayerful vigils and struggles. This cave has since become a place of pilgrimage.
Fr Guri had an extensive library on the [[asceticism|ascetic]] life and [[hesychasm|hesychastic]] prayer, especially the [[Jesus Prayer]]. He would often copy excerpts from the writings of the Holy Fathers on the ascetic and spiritual life in small school exercise books. These books, the fruit of his reading and struggles, he would give away as a blessing to those whom he felt would benefit from the wisdom of the Holy Fathers.
Over the succeeding years Father Guri laboured with Michael Sorokhin, together with volunteers from the Russian Orthodox community in Sydney, to erect a small brick building containing six monastic
cells surrounding a large central room that was intended to be part of a large monastic church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. It was not to be completed. He waited alone, praying that others would join him.
Old age eventually forced Father Guri to move from his beloved isolation at the Skete to a small hut in the Convent grounds, and finally to the Saint Sergius Nursing Home, Cabramatta. He died in deep old age at 98 years on the
23rd of August 1992. This faithful monk is buried in Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney.
===Without a monastic===
In 1999 Hieromonk Joachim received a [[canonical release]] from the [[Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand|Serbian Orthodox Church]] to the ROCOR. He was invited by the current diocesan bishop, Archbishop [[Hilarion (Kapral) of Sydney]], to rebuild the Kentlyn Skete and restore
coenobitic monastic life, as well as to provide a base for missionary work amongst anglophonic Australians.
With the help of a very small group of faithful volunteers, the early 2000s saw four and a half years of work to clear the neglected grounds of decades of rubbish and undergrowth, and the Skete building secured and made temporarily habitable and weatherproof. There is now modest accommodation, an office, dining room and, most importantly, a prayer room or chapel where the monastic labour of the Hours of prayer according to the typicon of the Orthodox Church are said daily.
With the blessing of [[Abbess]] Evpraxia, Father Joachim has been permitted the use of the old monastery Church of All Saints in the neighbouring [[Monastery of Our Lady of Kazan (Kentlyn, New South Wales)|Our Lady of Kazan Monastery]]. A small congregation from various national backgrounds - Russian, Cypriot, Greek, Palestinian, Serbian, Lebanese, and Anglo-Celtic - attend the Divine Liturgy served in English every Sunday and on major feast days.
Father Guri’s small cave, scene of his many hidden vigils and spiritual struggles, has been cleaned of the dirt and rubbish accumulated since his departure. A floor has been laid, overhanging rock walls strengthened, and icons and a burning lampada installed. Sanctified by Father Guri’s prayers and tears, this sandstone cleft, the Skete’s first ’church’, has become a place of pilgrimage and quiet prayer for growing numbers of visitors to the Skete.