By the eighteenth century a number of monasteries began organizing within the diocese such that by 1764 there were eleven monasteries that received state subsidies, beside many other smaller, unsubsidized monasteries. The three major monasteries were: [[
http://www.kazan.eparhia.ru/english/monastyri/sviyazhsk/|Sviyazhsk Dormition Monastery]], Savior-Transfiguration Monastery, and Kazan Convent of the Mother of God.
===Kazan Mother of God icon===
On [[December 11]], 1988, Archimandrite Anastasy (Metkin), rector of St. Nicholas Cathedral, was consecrated bishop in the Epiphany Cathedral in Moscow to fill the [[cathedra]] of the Diocese of Kazan. In 1989, the Cathedral of the Apostles [[Apostle Peter|Peter]] and [[Apostle Paul|Paul]] was returned to the diocese, the start of a stream of churches that gradually were returned to the Kazan diocese over the following years. In succession, the [[
http://www.kazan.eparhia.ru/english/monastyri/raifa/|Raifa Monastery]] was returned in 1991, St. Barbara’s and St. Sophia Churches were returned in 1994. In 1996, Makaryev Monastery (of St. Makaius Zheltovodsky) and the Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God led the return of many churches and monasteries that year.
The Diocese of Kazan, in more recent years, has opened some 176 active parishes, divided into 22 deaneries. The diocese has been restoring six male and two female monasteries. In 2005, 25 deacons and 22 priests have been ordained. In September 1997, the Kazan Theological School was re-organized as the Kazan Theological Seminary, and church schools have been steadily opened in many of the parishes.