← Older edit
Newer edit →
Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Jerusalem)
1,031 bytes added
05:26, March 21, 2008
Brotherhood of HS
When a fire broke out in 1840, dozens of pilgrims were trampled to death. On June 20, 1999, all the Christian communions who share control agreed in a decision to install a new exit door in the church.
==The Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre==
The Patriarch of Jerusalem leads the '''Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre'''. This "brotherhood" constitutes all metropolitans, archbishops, bishops, archimandrites, priests, monks and deacons belonging to the patriarchate. The purpose of this group is to guide orthodox Christians in the Holy Land and advocate the Orthodox faith. Within the brotherhood, there is another subgroup called the "guards". The guards are a specific group of monks from the Holy [[Monastery of St. Constantine and Helen (Jerusalem)|Monastery of St. Constantine and Helen]]. These monks are given the specific role of guarding the '''Chapel of the Sepulchre''' (the Tomb of Christ) and defending the faith. There will always be at least one guardian within the '''Chapel of the Angel'''. They ensure respectable and appropriate conduct is shown by [[pilgrim]]s at the Tomb of Christ. The order is considered a continuation on the original "Significant" group, established well before St. Helen's visit in 326.
==Current configuration of the Holy Sepulchre==
Retrieved from "
Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki.