Jump to: navigation, search

Xeropotamou Monastery (Athos)

26 bytes added, 01:15, March 16, 2007
While tradition accords its founding to the Empress [[Pulcheria the Empress|Pulcheria]] in mid fifth century, Xeropotamou Monastery is believed to have been established at the end of the tenth century, by a monk named Paulos Xeropotamenos. Xeropotamou prospered until the thirteenth century when it was occupied and pillaged by the Franks. The monastery was supported in a revival in the fourteenth century by the Byzantine Roman Paleologan dynasty and Serbian princes. Then, after the fall of Constantinople further raids by the Turks and major fires in 1507 and 1609 caused major damage to Xeropotamou which had gone in decline.
Kaisarios Dapontes built the katholikon at Xeropotamou between 1761 and 1763. The [[church]] is typical of the Anthonite churches on the peninsula. The frescos were finished during the twenty years after the construction of the katholikon and have been kept in very good condition. Across a courtyard in front of the katholikon is the [[refectory]] built by the Wallachian [[abbot]] Alexander. The monastery suffered damage from fires recently in 1950 and 1973.

Navigation menu