* 1950: Graduated from seminary and ordained to the priesthood by Abp Victor - one of three students from his graduating class (of 20) who were ordained. He was assigned to St Innocent Church, Beijing. During his priesthood in China, he served in Chinese.
* 1951 Nov: Fr Michael was moved to Shanghai, and assigned to the Cathedral, serving under Bp [[Symeon (Du) of Shanghai|Symeon of Shanghai]]. Between 1950 and 1960, his four children are born.
* 1966: At the beginning of the cultural revolution, Fr Michael was imprisoned and forced to work in a stone quarry until he reached retirement age. He had to produce one ton of gravel each day, remain silent at work
& in public, and was questioned each day about who he had spoken to. His family was evicted from the church residence, and all ecclesiastical possessions were confiscated and burnt. With his family, he was taunted as a devil for his beliefs. Fr Michael attributed the survival of his faith to the reading of prayers - which he had to do secretly.
* 1986: Fr Michael was released from the labour camp. He resumed serving, and moved to Harbin where he served as second priest at Holy Protection Church there.
* 1989: Due to interference from state authorities, Fr Michael returned to Shanghai.