* [http://www.patriarchate.org/documents/his-all-holiness-on-the-enthronement-of-the-new-coptic-pope Letter of the Ecumenical Patriarch on the Occasion of the Enthronement of His Holiness Pope Tawadros II]
: ''For the [[Eastern Orthodox Church|Eastern Orthodox]] [[Pope]] with the same name and title, see [[Theodoros II (Choreftakis) of Alexandria]].''
The papal selection process began several weeks before the November 4, 2012 selection. About 2,400 clergymen and others shortlisted three candidates: Bishop Theodoros, Bishop Raphael, a former aide to the previous Pope, Pope Shenouda III, and Father Raphael Ava Mina, a [[monk]] in St. Mina's monastery near Alexandria, and the [[disciple]] of the [[List of Coptic Orthodox Popes of Alexandria|116th Pope]], Pope Cyril VI. The process faced controversy as many congregates sought a greater say in the process. The three were considered consensus candidates as they were not involved in church disputes and were neither too conservative nor too liberal.
The ceremony to choose the pope from the three consensus candidates was held at Cairo's St. Mark's Cathedral at about noon and featured a marked police presence. Prior to the selection, Metropolitan Pachomius of Behira, [[locum tenens]] of the Church, sealed the [[chalice]] with the names with red wax and put it upon the [[altar]] as he led Mass. He then told the congregation: "We will pray that God will choose the good shepherd." Following a moment of silence, a blindfolded boy then picked Theodoros' name from the chalice. The thousands of congregates in attendance then erupted in ovation, tears or prayer. In reaction Theodoros II said, from the monastery at Wadi El-Natrun: "[We] will start by organising the house from within. It is a responsibility. Most important is...that the church, as an institution, serves the community."
Egyptian President Morsi congratulated Theodoros and called for Egyptian "unity" and "brotherly love" between Copts and the [[Muslim]] community.
==Sources and external links==
* ''[http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/l-eveque-tawadros-nouveau-patriarche-copte-d-egypte-04-11-2012-2291077.php L'évêque Tawadros, nouveau patriarche copte d'Egypte]'' (in French). Le Parisien. Nov 4, 2012.
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Wx8dQHUzQA YouTube video: Words and gift of the Greek Orthodox Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria to the new Coptic Pope of Alexandria, Cairo, Nov 18, 2012] <small>(His Beatitude's name is also ''Theodoros II'', same as that of the new Coptic Orthodox Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria)</small>
* [http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/messages/pont-messages/2012/documents/hf_ben-xvi_mes_20121105_coptic-orthodox-church_en.html Message Of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI To His Holiness Anba Tawadros, Pope-Elect Of Alexandria And Patriarch Of The See Of Saint Mark (Vatican, Nov 18, 202)]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Theodoros_II_of_Alexandria English Wikipedia].